I need a website/web redesign/logo. How do I get started?
Request a Quote first. If you are looking for a new website or web redesign, this will be followed up with a website design planner. The planner will help determine the scope of your project: your technical and aesthetic needs, budget, content needs/status and desired launch date. A detailed estimate will be submitted for your approval in a custom Project Proposal delivered via email approximately 3-5 business days later. The proposal quote is valid for a limited time only, usually 7-15 business days.
For all other design projects, a quote request is still the first step and I will reply within 24 hours with an estimate and/or next steps.
How long will my website/print project take?
That depends. The time-frame for website development can range from 6 weeks to 6 months. It will vary by site needs and the content development process (this process includes design approval phases and the time it takes you to provide me with the materials to build your site). Print design is usually within a few weeks (again, depending on the project and approval process).
Your specific project needs (budget, deadline, details) can be addressed in the Request A Quote form to help me develop a realistic and efficient phased project outline.
Please allow at least 2-weeks for all small print projects or web content updates – and add another week or two for anything that needs to be printed/shipped; any new website design project must be requested at least 90-days before the desired launch date.
How much will it cost?
That depends a lot on the project. A custom quote will be determined by the scope of your project when you complete a quote request form.
- Flat Rate: A flat project rate is quoted for long-range projects such as website design, book, or catalog design. These projects include many individual services and the rate quoted applies to the project as outlined in its accompanying proposal. Deletion of services will not affect the project quote. Actual hours may marginally exceed the estimated hours without incurring additonal costs. It is important to note that changes after final approval, late payments or late delivery of content and feedback by the Client will result in additional fees (at the discretion of the designer).
- Hourly Rate: My hourly rate is $75/hour with a 2-hour minimum for all smaller print projects; $75 – 90/hour for web design and development. Applied to single items or small projects like a business card design, signage, supplemental web and print services, technical or programming assistance.
I will provide an estimate for your approval before I begin work. A contract and deposit are required before any project can commence.
For a website design project to be efficient for both of us (and cost-effective for you) you should have a clearly defined outline OR a timeline for the development of your content. Part of my services may include review of content and suggestions based on my years of web building experience. But, content development is work and your active participation is essential. For some tips on getting started, read my blog post, Get Your Content Together.
How big should my images be?
High resolution images are recommend for any logos that your business provides (whether for web or print use).
- Low-Resolution is for Web: Images for web should be 72-96 dpi and about 500-1000 pixels or less on the longest side (depending on the use).
- Hi-Resolution is for Print: Images for print must be at least 300dpi and to scale (the size you want them to print).
Accepted file formats: .JPEG, .JPG. .GIF, .PNG or original art Photoshop (.PSD), Illustrator (.ai), InDesign (.indd) files or a hi-res Illustrator PDF. Images placed in a Word .Doc is NOT acceptable.
Will I be able to update my own website?
Yes! With WordPress you can take advantage of the new and improved update method:
- The New & Improved Way: Ask me about developing a site within the dynamic and responsive WordPress framework! From your browser, you will be able to update and edit your own pages. All clients will receive 1.5 hours of free training after your site is live, a custom WordPress Guide, PLUS free email support with any maintenance agreement.
- The Good Old-Fashioned Way: Email text (.doc or .txt) and image updates to me. Your updates are completed in approximately 3 – 7 days, depending on complexity and Eat Paint Studio work flow. Hourly rates apply.